Saturday 18 June 2016

Techniques: Sequencing: Work Diary Evaluation -

Sequencing -

Equipment Used:
Canon EOS 450D, tripod, standard lens (18mm-55mm). 

Settings:
1/125, F/6.3, ISO 100

Lighting:
Natural outdoor lighting.

Theory: 
Ann Gould: Youth subculture; rebellious, artificial tribe, nihilistic. 

Favourite:


This image is my favourite of the series as all of the components came together well. The chosen landscape for the photograph allowed for a diverse series of poses and more than two image two be joined. The image also provides a good juxtaposition of age; the subject is a teenager in a playground made for children which could imply, in a surreal manner, the difficulties that teenagers feel in a sense of belonging to an age group. Another reason is that the implementation of a tripod allowed for a smooth post-production joining. However, due to the nature of taking a series of photographs, and the unpredictable weather, some of the photographs had to be discarded as the lighting had been changed too much and Photoshop would be too noticeable. Furthermore, the standard lens was a good fit for this brief as the ability to use a relatively wide angle when taking the photographs meant that I was able to take more portraits within the frame to later stitch into a sequence.

Least Favourite:



This image is my least favourite of the sequencing series for a variety of reasons. I was unable to capture many frames within this landscape which meant I didn't receive as surreal a photograph that I wanted to. Furthermore, I feel that I should have increased the ISO in this particular photograph as the image is somewhat darker than expected. Although, a good aspect about this final outcome is that the image stitched together very well due to the use of a tripod.

Evaluation and Development - 

I find that this shoot was well executed and provided an intriguing example of the technique. The only negative of this technique is routed in the respect that different locations allow for fewer numbers of repeated subjects such as the least favourite example shown above. Moreover, the natural landscape in some backgrounds move naturally and mean that joining the images becomes more difficult. As such, if I do use this technique then I will have to consider this and ways to amend it such as shooting in controlled environments or understanding how to accurately use the clone stamp tool in Photoshop. 

I plan to use this techniques as it is very surreal in its nature; the ability to use one subject but form a final outcome with multiple characters lends itself well to my ideas of fashion and surrealism. Specifically, within the more sinister photoshoots that I have planned such as shoot 6 where I intend on capturing subjects wearing a variety of masks. 

One specific idea that I plan to create is an Alice in Wonderland idea with one person wearing a white rabbit mask and leading another through woodland; this would work well with sequencing. Although, this may not become a shoot in itself unless I adapt my initial plan for shoot 6 involving masks. 

1 comment:

  1. a good evaluation of the outcome, well done... I like the fact that you have mentioned how using supplementary equipment helped in achieving the final outcome... The critical analysis on the second image and how it was less successful than expected is a good approach to take..

    ReplyDelete