Thursday 24 November 2016

Mid Evaluation: Discussion -

Mid Evaluation - 

I had originally planned on focusing equally on surrealism and fashion although the path that I have taken has revolved more so around surrealism simply due to the availability of high-fashion goods. The style that I had aspired to achieve was Vogue shoots such as Tim Walker's renditions of Tim Burton films although as a student I do not have access to locations or props to the high standard I desired.

At the mid-point of this investigation I have completed three photoshoots revolving around the subject mater of surrealism with some influences deriving from fashion. The shoots so far have been varied in that I have completed one which involved directly and physically working on the model for the photograph as inspired by Man Ray, the next involved physically manipulating the printed photographs towards the inspiration of photographers such as Flora Borsi or Matthieu Bourel and my third, and currently final photoshoot, was based on technical manipulations and adjustments to create surreal photo-joiners of portraiture as was originally experimented by David Hockney.

The more successful of the photoshoots was the third and final as the technique is one that I have previously explored and thus joiners and the technique as a whole appeared more professional than my other shoots. Although, the physical manipulations as part of the second photoshoot were inspired by rough photographers such as Hannah Hoch and thus convey the inspiration more accurately than my specific aesthetic ideologies.

I plan on continuing to follow the path of surrealism but also bring in more high-fashion elements in my next shoots. The shoot least inspired by fashion that I plan to complete is a change of scale by using small train figurines in everyday situations drawing ideas from the joint photographers Pierre Javelle and Akiko Ida although I will also consider the work of Slinkachu. The high fashion shoots will focus on strong influences from Tim Walker but also my love for novels and film such as "Alice in Wonderland" as I intend on completing a forest shoot using skills such as sequencing. Furthermore, I also aspire to study self-portraiture within the depths of surrealism and fashion as this is a concept not often explored; therefore I will bring in ideas of Christopher McKenney's self-made ghosts, Laura Williams' mirror exploration and Christian Hopkins' evaluation of mental health perceptions.

1 comment:

  1. OK good, please insert images linked to the shoots the three shoots you have done to illustrate the comments you made ref. surrealism.

    ReplyDelete