Monday 2 January 2017

Computer Experiment: 3D Duotone Illusion -

Computer Experiment: 3D Duotone Illusion - 


Original Image:


Final Image:



Technique - 


I began by creating a new file which I did so by clicking on the drop down menu 'File' followed by 'New...'.


I set the dimensions for a standard A4 sheet in the portrait layout. 


This is the blank file once created. I then unlocked the layer. 


I then opened the photographic file and unlocked the layer so that I could begin editing. 


To begin the duotone process the image first has to be transformed to black and white. To do this I moved up to the 'Image' menu, chose 'Mode' and then 'Grayscale'. 


To continue the process I had to 'Discard' the colour information. 


This is the image once it had been turned black and white using the appropriate channel to allow for duotone. 


As the final image will require two duotone I saved the grayscale file to save from having to make it a second time. 


To begin the first duotone process I moved up to 'Image', then 'Mode' and finally 'Duotone'. 


This box appeared and I changed the colours to fit my aesthetic and renamed them before selecting 'OK'. 


This is the first duotone once completed. 


Once completed I dragged the file over to the A4 sheet as a secondary layer. 


As this was not within the scale that I wanted I changeg it by heading up to 'Edit', followed by 'Transform' and then 'Scale'. Whilst holding down the shift button to keep the ratio I changed the sizing.


This is the image once scaled and aligned on the A4 sheet. 


I returned to the grayscale image to create my secondary duotone. 


I repeated the 'Image', 'Mode' and 'Duotone' process. 


This time, however, I changed the colours to white and blue and hit 'OK'. 


This is the completed secondary duotone. 


Once again I dragged the file across to the A4 sheet as another layer. 


To change the scale I once again headed up to the 'Edit', 'Transform' and then 'Scale' option and held down the shift to reduce any unwanted distortion. 


Once adjusted to size the image then covered the beneath layer. 


As such, and to create the later effect, I reduced the 'Opacity' of 'Layer 2' by 50%. This meant that the image now appeared purple due to the red showing through. 


I repeated the 'Opacity' reducing process on 'Layer 1' which now meant that more of 'Layer 0' was showing through making the photograph appear lilac. 


I then clicked onto each layer and moved them apart until they created a 3D like distorted effect. 


As I was unhappy with the white background disrupting the aesthetic I hovered over the 'Crop Tool' (C) and selected the first tool. 


After cropping the image this was the final outcome influenced by 3D and the idea of illusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment