Sunday 1 January 2017

Computer Experiment: Crop Distortion -

Computer Experiment: Crop Distortion - 


Original Image:



Final Image:





Technique - 


I began by unlocking the layer. 


I then moved down to the 'Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer' where I selected the 'Black and White...' option. 


I was pleased with the automatic default black and white setting and thus did not make any amendments using the slider values. Initially I would not change the photograph to black and white until on the secondary file but I wanted to see how it would look. 


I then headed up to the 'File' and 'New...' option to create a background for the Erwin Blumenfeld inspired distortion piece.


Next I adjusted the 'Preset' to a standard A4 page by choosing 'International Paper' and pressing 'OK'. 


This is the background documents scale.


Next I hovered over the 'Crop Tool' (C) and selected the first option.


I cropped down the image until it was only a small section of the original. 


I then dragged the file over to the background document.


I then had to adjust the scale and therefore moved up to the 'Edit' drop down menu and chose 'Transform' followed by 'Scale'. Whilst holding the shift button to stop any ratio changes I scaled the section of the photograph down.


This is the piece once scaled to fit.


Returning back to the original file I then wanted to undo the crop; I completed this function by heading up to the 'Edit' option and choosing 'Step Backward' (Alt, Cmd, Z).


The above step returned the image to its original state as seen here.


Repeat the process until the whole image, or desired sections, have been moved across to the background file.


This is the image once all of the layers had been moved over, aligned and scaled to create a surreal portrait inspired by Blumenfeld's series entitled 'Distortion'.


I then returned to the 'Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer' on the secondary file to continue over the 'Black and White...' filter.


As previously mentioned I did not feel the need to adjust any of the values as I was satisfied with the default setting.


This is the finished file. 

No comments:

Post a Comment